Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Back to Nature

We often talk about getting "back to nature", "being green" and 'being environmentally responsible". These have become popular catch phrases, or buzz words.

In my business, these are huge. We are inspired by nature to mimic the effects of a waterfall we have seen in the woods. We study the creek beds to help us create a more natural appearance to our creations. A good friend of mine once said " A pond is meant to be discovered and explored, not viewed.". What he means is that we should see new things within our features all the time.  Our plants grow and our fish grow and everything is changing.

So you can see why nature is important to me but I have to share with you the reason for this blog topic. This past weekend my son had some friends over to our home for a small birthday party. ( Happy 14th Birthday Brock ).

For those of you who have not been to my home, we refer to it as Aqua Casa. The water greets you at the sidewalk and as you follow the 75' stream up the side of the house and into the backyard you are then met by waterfalls and the main pond. We have lots of fish ( over 100) of all sizes and colors. Our backyard is a true escape type of backyard.

Now as his friends arrived at the house they all made their way to the backyard. They were so captivated by the pond and the fish.As I watched them I overheard one of the kids " Man, I cant believe you have this in your backyard!  I would be out here all the time."

It was really cool to watch this group of 14 yr old kids play with our fish,  hand feeding them and really enjoying nature. Most of them probably never have that opportunity. It was great to see them appreciate it.

I know that I am guilty of sometimes getting so wrapped up in everyday life that I don't stop to appreciate nature and our environment.

It is really great to just pause... even for just a minute... and take notice.

Try it!  It will change the rest of your day....

No comments:

Post a Comment