Thursday, October 8, 2015

Watching Koi Fish Is Good for Your Health



Have you ever noticed that many Dr. offices and Dentist offices often have aquariums in them?
           “Fish tanks and displays are often associated with attempts at calming patients in doctors' surgeries and dental waiting rooms," said PhD student Deborah Cracknell.
Watching fish and marine creatures going about their daily lives, swimming and meandering is oddly soothing and hypnotic. And, according to research recently published in Environment & Behavior, it’s good for your health too.




I for one have spent many hours at our water garden pond watching my koi fish in an effort to relax.
Like you, I wear many hats in my daily life; I need the quiet time to transition from my workday at Pondtastic, to being Mom and Wife. I go to the pond armed with koi food and a glass of wine.

Like many pets our koi are happy to know Mom is home and the feeding frenzy begins. To me this is more comical than relaxing, many of our Koi are hand fed and that means I’m getting wet as they swim and splash like crazy to get their food.
Once they have eaten I sit on my huge rock (thanks Jim) that’s when the relaxing really begins.

My favorite fish in the pond are my butterfly koi, as their extra-long fins gracefully float by I can feel their calming effect. Of course I love my standard koi as well; they glide through the pond always looking for more food. Baby koi grant us with the occasional glimpse as the swim in and out of the aquatic plants.

After watching my koi for about 20 or 30 minutes I’m ready to switch hats and finish the night.

Is my health better? I think so; my resting heart rate is lower and I feel relaxed.
That’s good enough for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment